The following is a high level overview and summary of the WaaS architecture and what can be achieved conceptually through the implementation of a WaaS solution.
There are a number of pre built WaaS solutions available as part of the generic CloudSET Framework services and these are described in detail throughout this manual.
However, the WaaS architecture facilitates the implementation and deployment of a bespoke customization based on the specific needs of individual customers.
Should you have a need for a specific customization that can't be achieved using Apps and Widgets, please contact Coherence Design Ltd. to discuss your requirements.
Widgets as a Service (WaaS) solutions provide the ability to extend or customize the Zendesk user interface and functionality beyond what can be achieved using Apps and Widgets and standard Zendesk configuration settings.
The WaaS architecture facilitates the implementation of customizations based on the specific needs of individual customers for bespoke forms, views and supporting functionality.
Key to this is the ability to control and manage the configuration and deployment to ensure that the correct version of each WaaS solution is successfully implemented for each Zendesk account.
The core capability involves the use of a back end server and database with knowledge of all versions of all WaaS solutions, and which version has been requested and deployed across all Zendesk accounts.
The CloudSET WaaS Server supplies the services necessary to deploy the required Zendesk Client components, serve up the correct version of the code on demand and perform operations providing the extended functionality and capability required by the WaaS solution.
Each WaaS solution consists of the following components:
- A Widget Service is deployed into the Zendesk account to hold knowledge of the WaaS release in use by the customer
- A Widget is also deployed into the Zendesk account to apply the necessary extensions to the Zendesk User Interface (UI) in preparation for the introduction of the customizations provided by the WaaS
- This Widget also makes a request to the CloudSET WaaS Server to serve up the applicable code at the appropriate time
- The customizations can be applied in-line to the existing page in the Zendesk Client Interface (e.g. Ticket Forms, Views, Configurators, etc.), in which case the Widget inserts a suitable placeholder into the UI
- Alternatively it is possible to apply the customizations in the form of a pop-up or separate dialog, in which case the Widget inserts an IFrame into the appropriate position within the UI
- The CloudSET Framework App communicates with the WaaS Server to request the deployment or redeployment of the Widget and Widget Service
- The WaaS Database maintains knowledge about which versions of the Widget and Widget Service have been deployed to each Zendesk Account and so when there is a need to redeploy
- The WaaS Database is also used ot store and maintain the code for all versions of all components involved in each WaaS solution and which component versions are included in each release
- When requested by the Widget deployed on the Zendesk Client, the WaaS server retrieves the code from the database and installs into the appropriate HTML Placeholder or builds a JSP called from the IFrame and thus alter the behavior and functionality of the Zendesk Client
- The code installed in the HTML Placeholder or IFrame might involve calls to invoke Java Servlets installed on the WaaS Server to perform operations that extend the core Zendesk functionality and capability
Each of the pre built generic WaaS solutions to which a customer has subscribed, along with any bespoke custom solutions implemented by Coherence on behalf of the customer, can be deployed and installed using the CloudSET Framework App (see Deploying WaaS Components).
*Note: a bespoke custom WaaS solution will often involve the need for one or more additional Widgets to prepare the UI, in which case additional deployment procedures are involved.