The standard Zendesk functionality provides a rich set of capability for the creation and use of Views by agents and admins to control lists of Tickets that meet various conditions and which Ticket fields to be displayed.
However, there is no support for the creation and use of such views by end users, who are at present restricted to two fixed views with a very limited set of Ticket fields showing only the open or recently solved Tickets belonging to the logged in user.
The End User Views module provided as part of the Cloudset Framework extends the Zendesk capability to enable the creation of Views for use by end users based on specified conditions and with full control of the Ticket fields returned in the View.
The End User Views module provides the following extended functionality for Zendesk customers:
- A replacement Default View made available for use by all end users, showing an alternative set of fields for their submitted Tickets
- Any number of additional end user Views, showing Tickets in a variety of states, for any combination of conditions and/or fields
- The introduction of the concept of end user Roles to control/restrict the availability of Views to only those end users playing a specified Role
- The option to introduce a default View for all end users, showing Tickets submitted by all other Zendesk users belonging to the shared Organization
- The introduction of the concept of Organization Hierarchies, to enable the creation of end user Views that show Tickets belonging to all other Zendesk users belonging to an entire Organization structure
The following lessons and steps of this chapter provide a detailed explanation of the procedure involved in the configuration and use of the End User Views module.
Comprises the following widgets:
End User Views Widget
The End User Views widget provides a configurator to administer which views should be made available to the end users of your Zendesk account.
The views themselves are created and maintained using the standard Zendesk functionality and provided certain conditions are set for the view they can be made available to end users via the End User Views configurator.
The End User Views widget also introduces the concept of Roles played by end users and the configurator can be used to restrict the availability of specific views to end users that play the required role.
End User Views Widget Service
End User Views is part of a WaaS solution and so includes a Widget Service component that provides a set of back end services to extend the Zendesk core functionality.
End User Roles Widget
The End User Roles widget further extends the functionality and capability of Zendesk to introduce the concept of Organization Hierarchies, which can be utilized by the End User Views configurator to control the availability of Views showing Tickets shared by all end users belonging to an Organization structure.
Browse Request Widget Service
An additional Widget Service required that will override the default Zendesk behavior and so allow an end user to view Tickets belonging to other users as determined and controlled by the End User Views module.
The Requests widget provides the client side WaaS component communicating with the Browse Request Widget Service making it possible for an end user to focus on and view details of Tickets that belong to another Zendesk user, which would otherwise not be possible.