Working hours determine when your agents will be available to work on the completion of events and so will influence the due date/time calculated for completion (see Creating and Maintaining Working Hours).
If the working hours are Monday to Friday, 9am thru 5pm and the SLA specification for an initial response is set as 1hr:
- If a ticket arrives at 10am Monday then the initial response must have been given by 11am the same day
- If a ticket arrives at 4:30pm Monday then the initial response isn't required until 9:30am Tuesday
- If the ticket arrives 4:30pm Friday then the initial response isn't required until 9:30am Monday
- If the ticket arrives 10am Saturday then the initial response isn't required until 10am Monday
The working hours can also be set to be All Day and in this way a 24x7x365 support desk can be achieved.
Depending upon the SLA contracts in place with each of your customers and the location of your agents it might be necessary to create multiple alternative sets of working hours.
- You might have an agreement in place with some of your customers that agents will be available to respond and work on tickets 24x7x365, whilst for others their SLA Plan only covers Monday to Friday, 9am thru 5pm
- It is possible that the SLA for an initial response includes coverage 24x7x365, whist the SLA for resolution is based on Monday to Friday, 9am thru 5pm working hours
- It is also possible that the SLA for an initial response for a ticket with an Urgent priority includes coverage 24x7x365, whist the SLA for an initial response for a ticket with a Low priority is based on Monday to Friday, 9am thru 5pm working hours
- It might also be the case that your agents are located on the US East Coast and only provide support between 9am and 5pm EST, but your customer is based on the US West Coast. In this case you might want to create a set of working hours that covers 6am thru 2pm PST for use with a corresponding regional time zone specifically for use with this customers tickets (see Specify Regional Timezones below).
By creating multiple sets of working hours these can be grouped together with a set of holidays and a time zone to create a Region to be assigned to tickets along with an SLA Plan (see Specify Regional Timezones).
Alternatively a set of working hours can be used to override the Region default for a specific priority for a specific event within a specific SLA Plan (see Refine SLA Plans).